Almost everyone who uses any audio device or microphone has the same question of using a speaker cable. If anyone wants to have the fullest audio amplification, then he needs a speaker cable. Although there is a debate of using a speaker cable as one is already using high-end audiophile amplifier cable. Still, only a good user can state the facilities of using the speaker cable.
So without ruining further time, let’s know about the speaker cable. This article is for those who have some serious doubts about the works of a speaker cable.
A speaker cable is a wire that is the only task to make an electrical bond between the speakers and the amplifiers. They make the speaker cable of three major components-
Among the three components, the last one, resistance matters the more in the amplification. A less resistance speaker can pass hi-frequency to the cable and produce a louder sound. If the resistance is 5%, then we say it to have the best audio experience.
Elements and materials of speaker cable
A speaker cable is comprised of the following elements:
- The high length: Resistance and the length of the cable have a proportional relationship. So minimizing the resistance and getting the highest current flow, make sure the cable is as short as possible.
- Gauge: Gauge or cross-sectional area of speaker cable and resistance have a vertical relationship. So a small gauge cable has great resistance, while a bigger gauge cable is perfect to occur less resistance.
- Materials: Most of the cable is of copper to avoid the higher cost, and copper is a fantastic conductor.
Although most of the cable components are of copper, there are several options to make a cable conductible. For instance, the usable materials are-
- Silver components: A silver component oxidizes often, and it is costlier. The special feature of silver is that it has less resistance.
- Gold components: If you are looking for resistance-free material, then go for a gold one. The gold component doesn’t oxidize, so this is the most special feature of gold. But the major fact is that gold has a high price.
- Copper components: If you think about overall facts, such as cost, conductivity, and resistance, then copper is the best match for this category. A copper component has a low cost and has less resistance and high conductivity.
But the only problem is that a copper component is at a high risk of getting oxidized. It creates a dense layer of oxidizing.
So, to avoid oxidization, our guide is to choose an oxygen-proof cable, although it is costly but will relax you in the long run.
Why use terminations?
Terminations are there for helping you to get a better connection between the source and speaker. It uses terminations at the end of the speaker cable to ensure the quicker and stronger connection between the speaker and components. A rough user who is used to change or replace different parts of the speaker, using termination is highly beneficial for him. So among different terminations, spade plugs and banana plugs are the best options to have the easiest and quickest connection ever.
What exactly bi-wire and a single wire mean?
Basically, a speaker has multiple wires or two-wire components. But if the speaker is of only one wire, then it is a single wire. Again, if the speaker comprises two wires, then it is bi-wire.
A single wire component seems to be easy enough to set up because it needs to give a single connection. A single wire is less expensive. Many find a single wire connector easy to cope up with, and they enjoy the strongly coherent and melodious sound.
Whereas if we talk about a bi-wire connection, most of the people get relief using the bi-wire connection. Only this connection of components ensures to get a more wide and open sound stage and levels. But the only demerit is a bi-wire connection costlier than the single wire one.
Tips on buying a speaker cable:
- While buying a speaker cable, always check its components.
- The wire gauge has a reverse relationship with the resistance, to get less resistance to choose a wide gauge cable.
- We consider a minimum of 4mm gauge as an ideal to have maximum electricity pass and less resistance to the cable.
- If you are using a speaker cable for only personal use, moreover, for the private party, then choosing a speaker cable of having at least 1.6/2mm is suitable for you.
- If you have a little budget, then go for a copper component cable/wire.
- No matter what is your budget getting full a coverage speaker, the cable should always be your priority.
- Pick up an oxygen-free speaker cable.
- Any speaker cable wire must be oxygen-free; otherwise, the speaker cable will get damaged.
- We suggest you spend a good amount of money on choosing a perfect oxygen-free cable although it costs high but will relax you for a lifetime.
- If you have the plan to use a speaker cable only for a short time, then a copper cable one will be the best for your temporary need.
- Depending on users, the activity or performance of a speaker cable varies, so while purchasing a speaker cable, make sure you take a test of its audio quality and amplification.
With the course of time, the speaker cable manufacturer tried to come up with better insulation and oxygen-free material components. The price and facility are also getting consumer-friendly gradually. But only a consumer can decide which or even speaker cables are useful for him or not.
So if you are interested in having an experience of using a speaker cable, then follow the above rules. In addition, choose a speaker cable, which has a long line and lesser gauge. As a result, you will enjoy the least resistance and much amplification.